Monday, December 12, 2011

Mount Wellington...

One of the first things we did in Hobart was to take a drive up to the top of Mt. Wellington.


Hobart is nestled in the foothills of Mt.Wellington and the mountain protects the city from the prevailing  south westerly weather.


There is a sealed road right up to the top (1270 metres above sea level). The road was built in the late 1930's to stimulate employment.






Temperatures get down to -10 degrees in winter and the mountain is often capped with snow. They had some snow falling the previous day.


The day we headed up it was 18 degrees in Hobart and 8 degrees at the top of Mt. Wellington. 








The kids found a snowman when we arrived at the top which added to the excitement of being 'up in the clouds'....




The hunt was then on for any leftover snow.....




Another snowman was born...




Snowballs were made....
and thrown...




Never at each other apparently....(cough, cough)


We can only imagine how great the view is when the cloud clears........


The viewing platform 
because it is rather spectacular further down the mountain.....




Truly stunning.

4 comments:

  1. All that fog could have been over here! (we've been in the fog well over a week now)
    Had the kids seen snow before? One of our friends is hosting a student from Melbourne and he saw his first snow over Thanksgiving break. Needless to say he was very excited! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way back in 1983 Megan.... I too had that same cloudy view. I love your blogging woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really wish I could catch a moon beam down to where you are and have a Snow-ball throwing (not at anyone??) good time with you all. Maybe Mulled wine(very Danish) could be in order Megan..... I have a gorgeous friend that owns a B-N-B with her husband just out of Hobart on the Huon River - would you like more info?? You could give a Christmas and Birthday kiss to one of my best friends for me from me?? And the kids could feed the goats or go trout fishing..?? Let me know if you have the time or the inclination and I will forward details of the name and address ... Keep having fun - love hearing it.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish that I could catch a moon beam down and join in the throwing (not at anyone??) of snowballs with you all.. I am sure a Mulled wine (very Danish) would be in order Megan?? I have a gorgeous friend who owns a B'N'B with her Husband just outside of Hobart on the Huon River.. you could take the kids to feed the goats and throw a line in for some trout fishing??? Pass on a Christmas and Birthday kiss to one of my best friends for me too.. If you have the time and/or inclination - just let me know and I will pass on more details.. Keep on having fun - we love hearing it.. Love Jane Hen Hennessy and Co...

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you.....thanks so much for leaving a comment....